Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Review ~ Sweet Girl by Sierra Hill

Kylah
I’ve always lived in the shadows of my athletic older brother and my charismatic twin sister. And that’s okay by me. I don’t mind being known as the shy wallflower. The gawky geek. The sweet, virginal girl. Well, that’s one label I’ve been trying to shed since starting my freshman year in college this year. The thing is, no one’s ever looked twice at me.
Until I met Van Gerard.
He notices me. He looks at me and seems to like what he sees. He understands and listens to me. He’s become a great friend. The problem is, I don’t want him as a friend.
I want more.
But my brother – along with a state line between us, and oh yeah, Van’s long-time girlfriend – are just a few complications getting in the way of what I want.
Van
I thought my senior year in college would be the best time of my life. I’m a starter on a Pac-12 basketball team, set to graduate with a degree in Finance. I have a girlfriend whom I’d planned to start a future with. I thought my life was already mapped out.
But then the bottom dropped out with a confession I never expected to hear, from the girl I thought I knew.
I thought wrong.
Luckily for me, Kylah Griffin was there to break my fall. She’s the best thing this year has given me. She’s helped me through a devastating blow that could have sent me reeling.
I know she wants more, but I’m not sure I can give it. Now that I’ve been burned, I don’t think I can go there again. Kylah’s not a hook-up, and she’s definitely not a rebound. She’s a sweet girl who deserves more than to be friend-zoned.

If only things weren’t so complicated.


Review
I have a tendency to discuss the covers of books I read first, so.... why change now?!?! The colors on this cover are simply beautiful. The mixture of pinks and purples fading out bring attention to the cover, which of course, all authors want. The cover is sweet and innocent looking, indicating a sweet romance. My only dislike is the models just don't seem to match what I imagine for the two main characters. The model representing Kylah has an elegant outfit on and full on makeup, while the character is more down to earth and a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. Then there's Van....Where's his Vanbun? I want to see it! WAHH!! No, seriously though. I get it. You wouldn't think a cover with a girl in just jeans and t-shirt girl would be eye-catching or would it? Hmm....... Yeah, I distracted my own self there... Back to the review!

Overall I enjoyed this book. I would probably rate it 3.5-4 stars. Kylah and Van's story was a believable story, where the female lead (Kylah) is the little sister of the main male characters (Van) best friend. Right there you know- oh heck no! Forbidden territory! Retreat, retreat! Stay away from the girl dude! But of course, Van can't stay away from Kylah and vice versa. I'm not going to give spoilers but I will say that you know from the start that Kylah and Van have an instant connection and a friendship that builds quickly. Don't be fooled by the sweet cover though! It's not all sweet and innocent in this book. There's some steam! 
There's a few typos, or errors that you would think would be noticed in final edits but other than that the story moved smoothly, details on each characters past and present were there but not overdone - which I was thankful for. This allows you to get a feel for the characters lives outside of the immediate story but doesn't bog you down with information you just didn't need. 
Overall, Sierra Hill has provided a great mixture of sweet and saucy all in one. I read the whole book in one day and looked forward to finding out how the story ended! Van will probably become your new book boyfriend and wish he had a real life brother just like him!

I will be looking forward to reading any continuing stories in this series!

Buy Link

Add to you TBR

This title is available to read on Netgalley for reviewers at the time of this post!


No comments:

Post a Comment